“If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel.”
For years, we didn't believe that. We began every trip expecting to have a wonderful time and that nothing would go wrong. In reality though, that wasn't always the way it went.
Unexpected things happened along the way. For example,
- Canceled tours. Halfway through a self-drive trip in Ireland, the company that booked the B&Bs for our tour went belly-up. We had to pay for the rest of the hotels out-of-pocket.
- Medical bills. In Bali, Dan came too close to a curb on a motorbike and broke his foot. Two weeks later, he was bitten by some weird bug and almost died.
- Broken cameras. While photographing sunrise at Angkor Wat, Dan's tripod tipped and sent his Sony Alpha-7ii camera on a deep dive into the reflecting pool.
- Lost luggage. Somewhere between Shanghai and Florida, United Airlines misplaced our bags for a week. We had to go out and buy enough clothing to get us through.
So yes, bad things happen whether you are a seasoned traveler or a first-time traveler. You don't plan for them. That's why they call them accidents.
Is travel insurance expensive?
Short answer: No. But like everything else, it does add to the cost of your trip.
Then again, it seems pretty cheap if you need an emergency evacuation. That can cost in excess of US$100,000.
Just for giggles one day, we investigated the cost of travel insurance. We were shocked at how cheap it was! It didn't take rocket science to realize that if we'd had it over the years, we would have saved a boatload of money, not to mention hassle.
As the Amish say, “too soon old, too late smart.”
Well, no longer. We now have global coverage, and you know what? It's really nice to have one less thing to think about.
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
We recommend travel insurance from WorldNomads.com because it is available to people from 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travelers with coverage for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Unlike some companies, you can even buy insurance online, even after you've left home.
Hopefully, you'll never need it, but if you do need to make a claim, World Nomads makes it easy. Their online claim form means you can make a claim online from anywhere in the world. Plus, you'll only spend 10 minutes filing a claim rather than wasting hours on the phone to get it done.
In our opinion, this is how modern travel insurance should be.
7 things you should know about World Nomads travel insurance
1. Trusted reliable underwriters
WorldNomads.com is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
2. Value for money with the coverage you need
World Nomads provides cover for what's important for travelers from 140 countries. By focusing on what you need and leaving out what you don't, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
3. Flexibility when you need it most
Had a change of plans? You can buy more cover or claim online while you are still away.
You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you're already travelling.
4. Adventure activities are covered.
From skiing and snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, World Nomads covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels. Your mom will be happy to know you have it, too.
5. World Nomads gives you safety alerts
All WorldNomads.com members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
6. You get fun bonuses too
7. You get exceptional customer service
We want to make sure you get the most from your travels. You can find out more about why travel insurance is important for your trip. If you have any questions about your travel insurance or travel safety in general, please contact WorldNomads.com directly.